Sunday, December 24, 2017

Obligatory Favorite Games 2017 Edition Post Part I: My Favorite Games: Top 30 List (Games 21-30)

Oh wow, now we’re in for some fun!  This is going to be the first post in my yearly look at my favorite games (of all time) list.  This series of posts will simply look at those games that I’ve played that are my absolute favorites and would pretty much be ones I’d play any time!  Em (my wife) and I take some time out every year to make our lists of favorite games and get them posted on the blog.  I don’t have any specific criteria on how many times I need to play a game to include it as there are different numbers for each game of times played.  I’ve slightly changed my formatting of this series as this year I will be doing a top 30 list.  This first post will take a look at games 21-30, the next will be games 11-20, the third will be games 6-10 and the final will take a look at my top 5 games.  I’m looking forward to getting this post up so let’s go ahead and start!



This is a deck-building, card-drafting game with a board element released by Renegade Game Studios and designed by Paul Dennen.  This game just keeps getting better with each play and is right now one of my favorite deck-builders.



This is an adventure, dice-rolling and exploration game released by Fantasy Flight Games and designed by Andrew Fischer and Nathan Hajek.  I haven’t played this game much yet but I absolutely love it!  With further expansions and more plays I could see this game jumping up my list!



This is a worker placement, tile-laying and economic game released by Pandasaurus Games and designed by Jonathan Gilmour and Brian Lewis.  This is another game that I don’t have many plays in yet and thus it is lower on the list.  However, I’m going to make the call now, I think with more plays this game is going to be in my top 10!



This is a hand-management, adventure and co-operative game released by Paizo Publishing and designed by Mike Selinker, Chad Brown, Tanis O’Connor, Paul Peterson and Gaby Weidling.  This is a great co-operative card game that my wife and I really love.  We’re almost done with this box and we’re looking forward to trying out the next in the series!



This is a campaign-style, route-building and adventure game released by Red Raven Games and designed by Ryan Laukat.  This is a wonderful story-telling game created by the fabulous triple threat Ryan Laukat and I look forward to further playing through the story!



This is a worker-placement, set-collection and commodity-speculation game released by Eagle-Gryphon Games and designed by Vital Lacerda.  This game has one of my favorite themes in the games I’ve got as I love the art gallery theme and the production is top notch.  This is one of my favorite heavy-weight Euro games and I’d play it anytime!



This is a card-drafting, set-collection and civilization game released by Repos Production and designed by Antoine Bauza and Bruno Cathala.  This game is one of mine and Em’s favorite two-player-only games.  This is a two-player re-implementation of 7 Wonders and in my mind exceeds that wonderful card-drafting game.



This is an action-point-allowance, pick-up-and-deliver and post-apocalyptic game released by Pandasaurus Games and designed by Jonathan Gilmour, Ben Pinchback and Matt Riddle.  This is another newer release that is the very reason I play games, it is just fun!  I could see this game moving up my list with more plays.



This is a dice-drafting, dice-placement and set-collection game released by Thunderworks Games and designed by Keith Matejka.  This is an absolutely amazing game that I adore.  This game is my perfect example of what makes for a great dice-drafting and placement game and I find it hard to believe I’d find many more I love as much as this one!



This is an economic, route-building and set-collection game released by Tasty Minstrel Games and OKAZU Brand and designed by Hisashi Hayashi.  This is such a great Euro-style game that has some absolutely elegant mechanisms in it.  This is a game that I would play anytime someone wanted a crunchy (but not overly so!) game with some meat on its bones!

Well, there you have it!  These are games 21-30 on my top 30 favorite game’s list.  Come back soon and I’ll have up the next post which will include games 11-20.  My wife Em will also be doing a guest spot giving her favorite games of all time.  Our good friend and gaming buddy Josh may also do a guest spot with his favorite’s list.  So keep an eye on the blog for the next week as there should be some good content!  Thanks so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed.  Until next time, game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment