Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Obligatory 2017 Kickstarter Post Part IV: Top 10 List (Games 1-5)

Now let’s move on to the final post in my 2017 Kickstarter list of anticipated releases.  This list will be the top 5 games that I’m interested in that haven’t yet made it to the backers.  There are so many good games that are going onto Kickstarter these days that it has been pretty difficult to narrow this list down but I’m happy with the games that I’ve included.  Of the five games I’ve included here, two of them I already have backed, another one my friend has backed and the last two haven’t even started their Kickstarter run yet.  Before I move onto my list, feel free to check out the previous three posts in the series to see what else I’m anticipating.




Alright, now that we’ve got that out of the way lets go ahead and move onto the meat of the post.  This will be my top 5 Kickstarter anticipated releases that haven’t yet shipped to backers.  I hope you enjoy!




Kitchen Rush is a real-time, co-operative and worker-placement game designed by Dávid Turczi and Vangelis Bagiartakis and will be published by Artipia Games.  This game was funded by 2,186 backers and made $144,085 during it run on Kickstarter this year.  This game is actually being shipped as of the writing of this post.  It should hopefully be in backers hands by either the end of this month (December 2017) or early January 2018.  This game puts players in the role of the owner/manager of a restaurant.  They are charged with making the restaurant profitable by managing their employees and delivering the perfect dishes to their customers.  This game uses a really clever, real-time game that uses sand timers and the workers.  The players will place these workers and can’t pick them up and replace them until the sand has run its course.  This gives a level of tension to the game that looks amazing!  I’ve realized that I don’t really like real-time competitive games but I do quite enjoy the tension and fun in a real-time co-operative game.  This is one of the games that we’ve backed and I hope to see it on our doorstep soon as it looks like a ton of fun!



Arydia: The Paths We Dare Tread is a co-operative, storytelling and exploration game designed by Cody Miller and published by Far Off Games.  This game hasn’t yet had its Kickstarter run but I would expect that it does really well when it goes live.  I hope that we get to see this finished product sometime next year but I would expect that we probably won’t see it until 2019.  The game will start off with players being able to take on the role of a character that they will take through the campaign and grow with the story.  The players will have to gain skills and weapons in order to make it through some of the dangerous locations that they will be visiting during the game.  The game will be campaign driven and should have a sense of progression and their labeling it as a “Green Legacy” game.  I love a good story and a wonderful campaign style game where it feels like things change so I’m really looking forward to trying this one out when it is complete.




AuZtralia is a card-drafting, route-building and exploration game designed by Martin Wallace and will be published by SchilMil Games, Ltd.  This game hasn’t yet started its run on Kickstarter and I’m not really sure how this game will do as it’s an interesting theme.  I hope that this game is seen by either Gen Con or Essen Spiel of 2018 but I’m not even sure when it is going to go live.  This game puts players in the role of the game’s protagonist who are attempting to go up against a Great Old One from the Lovecraft Cthulhu mythos.  This game is actually a sequel-of-sorts to Wallace’s previous release A Study in Emerald.  The game boasts a clever an innovative combat mechanism as well as completely randomized board sets to add to the game’s replayability.  I will also admit that I have a weakness for the Cthulhu mythos and this adds some post-apocalyptic veneer to the mix.  I am looking forward to this game and hope it makes by to backer’s hands by the end of the year.




The City of Kings is a co-operative, storytelling and adventure game designed by Frank West and published by The City of Games.  The game was funded by 3,132 backers and made about $379,832 during its Kickstarter run.  The game has a proposed shipping date  to backers of February 2018 and although there have been some problems it looks like this date could still be met.  This game finds players in the role of one of the six heroes of the game with a unique set of skills and customizable stats that is trying to find the last refuge from the game’s antagonists.  The players will explore the tiles of the Ageless Realms in order to find the oldest city in the world and thus the final refuge.  This game appears to have a ton of replayability and the puzzle of the game looks to be absolutely great.  I’m really excited to try this game out as it looks to be really amazing!  I don’t have this one backed (although I may try and get a copy after it ships) but my buddy Josh will be getting a copy when it ships and I can’t wait totry it out!



Too Many Bones: Undertow is a co-operative, dice-rolling and role-playing game designed by Adam and Josh Carlson and will be published by Chip Theory Games.  This game was funded by 4,955 backers to the tune of $882,088 during its incredibly successful run.  This is actually a stand-alone sequel to the base game and although it is an expansion I’ve decided to leave it on this list because it doesn’t need the base game to play.  The game has a current proposed shipping date of June 2018 although I would expect closer to August just due to normal delays that happen during the production of such a large game.  The game has players take on the role of a Gearloc that is going on a quest in an attempt to find out if they’ve been betrayed by their own.  This stand-alone expansion is going to add a ton of new stuff to the game which I absolutely love!  Too Many Bones has become one of my favorite games of all time so this Kickstarter was a no-brainer for me and I basically went all in to grab the stuff I don’t have yet.  If you haven’t had a chance to check this game out it is a dice-building, campaign-style game where you essentially level up your character by finishing different encounters.  The production quality of the game is amazing and the guys from Chip Theory Games are awesome.  I can’t wait to get my hands on this new content and thus it makes my number one anticipated Kickstarter release.

Well, there you have it!  This is the final post in my 2017 anticipated Kickstarter projects series and I think that these were some pretty awesome things coming out.  Keep watching this site as I’ll soon be starting up my yearly look at my favorite games!  This is always a super tough series for me as I have so many great games and have played so many other great ones that it is hard to choose.  Regardless, I’ll have them narrowed down soon and will start the series up shortly.  My wife, Em, will also have a post of her favorite games and my regular gaming buddy, Josh, may also do one.  Anyway, thanks so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed.  Until next time, game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment