Saturday, March 5, 2016

Obligatory End of 2015 Post Part III: Top Interests of 2015: Honorable Mentions

So 2015 has rolled on by and it was a fantastic year of gaming.  I must say that I was able to get the majority of the games that really interested me.  However, that being said, there are some out there that are at least somewhat interesting still!  The next three posts in my “End of 2015” series will be my top interests from 2015.  These are all games that I am still interested in that I have yet to play and/or buy.  These are all games that were available in some way, shape, or form in 2015.  For these to make this list they have to have been available in some way to buy easily from a game shop, Amazon, or a game online retailer within 2015.  Before we get on with this list I will leave links just below for the first two posts in my “End of 2015” series.  The first of them is the final statistic from my 2015 game plays and the second is my Late-ie awards.



Okay, now with that information out of the way we can move onto the main event.  There are five games that I will talk about in this post (as well as a few at the end that just missed this post) that are essentially my 11-15.  These are the games that just barely missed the top 10 but that doesn’t mean that they don’t deserved to be mentioned…and thus the honorable mentions post!  Read on and enjoy!

The first game to make it onto my honorable mentions list for the games I’m most interested in trying from 2015 is Forbidden Stars, designed by Corey Konieczka, Samuel Bailey, and James Kniffen and distributed by Fantasy Flight Games.  This is a very cool looking area control, dice rolling, hand management game that is set in the Warhammer 40k universe.  

forbidden-stars

Each of the players takes control of a different race (the Ultramarines, Eldar, Orks, or Chaos Space Marines) and fight to gain control of the Herakon Cluster.  One of the coolest parts of this game is where you choose tokens and put them upside down in an area and then resolved them in a specific order when it comes around to that phase.  This is apparently a similar mechanic that was used in StarCraft: The Board Game.  Then, you have very cool card play when resolving battles along with the dice rolling.  This game looks very thematic and like a ton of Ameritrash fun!  Also, bonus, it is apparently just as good with 2 players as with the full cadre!

The next game to roll its way onto my honorable mentions list is Dice City, designed by Vangelis Bagiartakis and distributed by ArtipiaGames and Alderac Entertainment Group.  This is a dice rolling, worker (dice) placement, city building game with some very cute but still very cool artwork.  You take turns rolling your five dice and putting them in the matching color and number spot on your board.  You are then able to mitigate the dice rolls by throwing out unneeded dice, taking resources, and buying other, more powerful buildings during your turn.  

dice-city

This just looks like a fun city builder along with dice roller that would be a great game to bring out with newer modern board game players.  This is also a very cheap game and has an expansion coming out soon called All That Glitters which looks to expand the coolness of the game.  We are looking forward to trying this game out!

The third game to the miss the top 10 list of 2015 interests is Elysium, designed by Matthew Dunstan and Brett J. Gilbert and distributed by Space Cowboys and Asmodee.  This is a card drafting, set collection and tableau builder game that has a Greek gods theme with outstanding art.  This game was nominated for the Kennerspiel des Jahres for 2015 along with Orleans but they both ended up losing out to Broom Service.   

elysium


In this game you are drafting cards that you will use for their abilities before you get them into your Elysium.  This is where the set collection comes into play.  You are trying to get certain runs of cards and types of cards into your Elysium in order to score them.  It is very cool because you are taking eight decks of cards (each one aligned to a specific god) and from them use five to create the deck for the game.  I find this very interesting as it would change the feel and the combos that are available throughout the game.  I’m very much looking forward to trying this game as I think it will appeal to my love of good cards games!

Next game up on the block is Nippon, designed by Nuno Bizarro Sentieiro and Paulo Soledade and distributed by What’s Your Game?.  This is an economic, Euro-style game that uses some area control and trading as its primary mechanics.   

nippon

The buzz around this game has been very good as it came out of Essen Spiel 2015 with a ton of fans.  Sentieiro and Soledade have been on a roll as they’ve created such hits as Madeira and Panamax.  This one has some interesting ideas of how you take meeples and place them and when you take them away can lose more points if you have a greater amount of colors.  I think the strategy in this game looks fascinating and hope I get a chance to try it this year.

The final game (thus making it the game that just missed the top 10) up in my 2015 interests yet to be played is Potion Explosion, designed by Stefano Castelli, Andrea Crespi, and Lorenzo Silva and distributed by Cool Mini Or Not and Horrible Games.  This is pattern and set collection game that has a very cool gimmick involved in the game.  It comes with a marble dispenser that gives this game an element to create a similarity to app-style games like Bejeweled or Candy Crush.   

potion-explosion

You are able to take these marbles which causes them to slide down and make runs that you are then able to take.  It is a very cool element that has moved this game into a must-buy for me as it would be great to get others into our hobby with something different.  I can’t wait until Cool Mini Or Not releases their version of the game later this year.

These are the five games that just missed my top 10 interests that I haven’t played from 2015 as of yet.  They may not have made the list proper but I still feel they should be looked at and given some love as they look very cool.  There are other games that deserve a look and below are twelve more that I considered but just missed the honorable mentions.

Adventure Land
Blood Rage
Discoveries
Favor of the Pharaoh
Grand Austria Hotel
 The Grizzled

 
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King
Mombasa
Simurgh
Star Wars: Armada
Steampunk Rally
T.I.M.E. Stories


And there you have it, my honorable mentions from the 2015 games I haven’t yet played but really want to!  Keep an eye out as in the next few days I’ll have up my top 10 list starting with games 6-10 and then going on to games 1-5.  After that I’ll have out a few posts on my top 10 games I’m interested in coming up in 2016.  As always, thank you so much for reading and feel free to comment below or at BoardGameGeek with any questions.  Until next time, game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment