Monday, March 7, 2016

Obligatory End of 2015 Post Part IV: Top Interests of 2015: Top 10 List (Games 6-10)

So here we are, officially at the beginning of my Top 10 List of 2015 games that I have yet to play and that really interest me.  These are all games that have really interested me in some way, shape, or form and thus have made it onto the list.  Before I continue feel free to click the below links to the first three parts of my End of 2015 posts.  The first part is my final game play statistics from 2015.  The second part is my “Latie-ies” Awards for my Best of 2015 categories.  Lastly, the third part is the honorable mentions of 2015 games I haven’t yet played.




Are you all back?  Great!  Let’s move on to the main event for today’s post, games 6-10 of my top interests of 2015.  This post will be the last five games on the list while my next post will include the top five games on the list.  Enjoy, and let me know what you think I missed!


exoplanets

Exoplanets is a tile-placement game where you are building up a solar system of planets and the life that is contained on each of these planets.  This game is designed by Przemysław Świerczyński and was originally distributed/published by Board&Dice.  It was just released this week that Greater Than Games obtained the license for Exoplanets and will be doing a Kickstarter this year to create a second edition of the game.  This game uses tile drafting, tile placement, and area influence as the primary mechanics while building and creating your solar system.   

You will draft tiles and place them with planets in such a way as to build the system in a way as to score you the most points.  Each tile will give you tokens and create specific climate conditions which will give you the ways to create and grow life on that planet.  You want to get as much life on each planet so that you will control the majority and thus score more points.  I love the look of this game and it looks to be a fairly simple game to learn and to play while having some great decisions to make during it.


the-bloody-inn

The Bloody Inn is a macabre themed game where you are luring customers to your inn where you will hire other people to help you kill them, bury them, and take their money.  This game is designed by Nicolas Robert and is distributed by Pearl Games and Asmodee.  This game uses hand management, multi-use cards, and tableau building as its primary mechanics as you are building your macabre engine.   

Each round different visitors will come to your inn and you will draft them into rooms along with the other players.  You will then make the decision whether to kill them, hire them, or use their places of work/homes as places to bury bodies of your victims.  From there you will need to launder your money in order to make the most by the end of the game.  I will admit that much of my interest in this game stems from the awesomely macabre theme, but a lot also stems from the card play.  I am a huge fan of great card games and I think that this one has the opportunity to fit that bill.



My Village is a dice rolling game that finds each of the players using dice in order to build up their village to score the most victory points by the end of the game.  This game is designed by Inka Brand and Marcus Brand and was originally published/distributed by eggertspiele and Pegasus Spiele and will be distributed in the United States by Stronghold Games this summer.  This game is a follow up to the worker placement game entitled The Village.   

My Village uses dice rolling, card drafting, and dice drafting as its primary mechanics where you are building your village from the ground up.  This game uses the current hot mechanic, pool (dice) drafting.  This is where you roll a pile of dice and then draft from the common pool in order to take your mechanics.  You will draft cards and place them out in your village in order to build it up and create very cool combos where you are able to take multiple actions during your turns.  This also uses the idea from The Village where some of your people will die but you will be able to score points with them depending on where you are able to place their burial plot.  This game looks like a great dice rolling/pool drafting game and I am looking forward to getting a chance to try it.


mistfall

Mistfall is a medium to heavy card game where players co-operatively use their cards and characters to go through different missions and areas in order to defeat monsters and win the day.  This game is designed by Błażej Kubacki and is published/distributed by NSKN Games and Passport Games Studio.  This game uses hand management, co-operative play, and deck building as its primary mechanics as you are taking your specific character and building up their stats with deck building.   

You start off with a character and each one has a different hand of cards which really lend to the thematic part of the game.  Each of the characters plays very differently from each other.  While a barbarian may hit very hard and want to go head to head against each monster, an archer or sorcerer may want to stay away and attack from a distance.  I love the way the cards are not only your weapons, armor, and actions but also double as your life points.  I love card games and this looks to do what a really good adventure card game should do, and that is use clever card play in order to create a thematic and entertaining experience.  I am looking forward to trying this one although it may be one I would play solo more so than with others.



Signorie is a dice rolling game that is set in 15th century Italy and finds each plays in the roll of a lord of a prestigious family of the Renaissance as they attempt to shape the country’s future.  This game is designed by Andrea Chiarvesio and Pierluca Zizzi and is published/distributed by What’s Your Game?.  This game uses dice rolling, set collection, worker placement, and the new hotness, pool (dice) drafting in order to take actions with your family.   

The players start by rolling the common pool of dice and will choose a color of die which will allow them to take that type of action.  The number that is on the die will give them a discount but if you have a sum of less than 13 with your total dice count then you can get a reward during that round.  I love that the money seems tight but it seems like an intuitive and fun game.  I love dice mechanics and am super interested in the pool drafting mechanic that is making its way around board games right now.  This game may be one I will have to break down a buy sooner than later and would definitely have a chance to move higher on this list with more research.

And there you have it, my game 6-10 on my top 10 boardgames from 2015 that I have been (as of yet) unable to play.  These games all appear to be really good and have some themes and mechanics that I am really interested in.  I can’t wait to get my hands on some of these in order to be able to try them out and see if they are for me.   

Come on back in the next couple of days (maybe even tomorrow!) and I’ll have the final post from my 2015 interests before I move on the next three part series of the games I’m looking forward to in 2016.  Thanks so much for reading and let me know what I’ve missed or what you are interested in from the year gone by.  Until next time, game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment