Sunday, October 8, 2017

Obligatory “What I Played In…” Post Part XXVII: September 2017

And we’re done with another month!  September flew by quickly and I see October doing the same.  We are actually in the process of buying a house and finishing up and will hopefully close in October which means we’ll be in the new digs soon!  Even with all of that craziness going on this month included our highest amount of plays for the year at 63!  I look forward to seeing all the awesome games we get to play this coming month as well!  Let’s see where I’m at on my 10x10 stats and then we’ll move on to the main part of this post.

10x10 Challenge:
Arkham Horror: The Card Game (4 plays in September, 6 total plays for 2017)
Cottage Garden (0 plays in September, 8 total plays for 2017)
Five Tribes (2 play in September, 6 total plays for 2017)
Gloomhaven (1 play in September, 12 total plays for 2017)
Great Western Trail (0 plays in September, 6 total plays for 2017)
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game (2 plays in September, 11 total plays for 2017)
Ticket to Ride (2 plays in September, 15 total plays for 2017)
Tokaido (0 plays in September, 5 total plays for 2017)
Too Many Bones (2 plays in September, 13 total plays for 2017)
Unfair (1 play in September, 8 total plays for 2017)

Alright, let’s move on to the games that I’ve played this past month.  As I said, it was another good month of gaming and we were able to get a whole bunch of really good games to the table!  Read on to check out what these games were and I hope you enjoy!

Statistics:
Total plays in September 2017 – 63
Total unique games played in September 2017 – 31
New games played in September 2017 – 3
New games acquired in September 2017 – N/A
New expansions acquired in September 2017 – 1
Most plays of a single game in September 2017 – 7



Designer – Carl Chudyk/Chris Cieslik
Publisher – Asmadi Games
Last play before September 2017 – 3/25/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 7

Em and I pulled this game out a few different times this past month and were able to get in a bunch of plays which actually put us over 100 total plays!  This is pretty cool since it is the first game that we’ve broken 100 plays with since I’ve started keeping track.



Designer – Scott Frisco/Steven Strumpf
Publisher – HABA
Last play before September 2017 – 10/1/16
Total plays in September 2017 – 6

I pulled this game out in the beginning of September and taught it to some buddies of mine from work.  I’m happy to say that they loved the game and can’t wait to play it again!  This will always remain one of our favorite dexterity, filler games!



Designer – Adam Carlson/Josh Carlson
Publisher – Chip Theory Games
Last play before September 2017 – 8/27/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 6

Yay!  We pulled out this fantastic little abstract game a few times this month and played it 6 times!  This is such and quick and fun game and is beautiful to boot!  I’d recommend this to anyone who loves great components and fun, quick gameplay.



Designer – Nate French/Matthew Newman
Publisher – Fantasy Flight Games
Last play before September 2017 – 7/29/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 4

Oh man do I love this game!  Em and I finished up the base box playing as a couple characters and I decided to go back through it playing solo.  I picked up the Dunwich Legacy expansion and started using another investigator for my solitaire play.



Designer – Kane Klenko
Publisher – Renegade Game Studios
New to me
First play – 9/4/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 3

Josh picked this game up at Gen Con 50 and we pulled it out and tried it out this past month.  I really like this game and think that it may be my current favorite dexterity game.  If you’re looking for Space Invaders the co-op dexterity game then look no further!



Designer – Jason Harner/Matthew Ransom
Publisher – Brotherwise Games
Last play before September 2017 – 8/20/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 3

This small dice game is one that I picked up at Gen Con and I very pleased that I did.  This game is going over very well with people as it is super simple to teach and a lot of fun to play.  I love the dice rolling and placement and the using of different types of dice.  I hope they eventually release an expansion to give it even more variability.



Designer – Masato Uesugi
Publisher – IELLO
Last play before September 2017 – 5/3/16
Total plays in September 2017 – 3

We grabbed this small-box game and took it to the park with us one day when we were taking our daughter out to play.  While she was running around the playground we broke this out and played 3 rounds of it.  This is still a quick, fun and simple game and we enjoy it occasionally.



Designer – Darrell Louder/Mike Mullins
Publisher – Greater Than Games/Dice Hate Me
Last play before September 2017 – 1/18/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 2

We finally got our copy of the new expansion from a Kickstarter campaign last year and we love it!  This expansion adds a whole bunch of new cards and some interesting new gameplay mechanisms that are tacked onto an already great game.  This is one of our favorite two-player-only fillers and this just makes it even better.



Designer – Emerson Matsuuchi
Publisher – Plan B Games
Last play before September 2017 – 8/22/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 2

This game is awesome!  I was excited to see that they were releasing this version of the game at Gen Con 50 and I’m really happy that I decided to pick it up.  This is one of those games (much like Ticket to Ride for us) that is really easy to teach and play but gives the players different decisions and has a surprising amount of depth.



Designer – Bruno Cathala
Publisher – Days of Wonders
Last play before September 2017 – 8/5/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 2

Em and I picked up this game twice this past month and they were some amazing rounds!  In both games the winner (Em won once and I won once) ended up getting 241 points and the defeated lost by less than 10 points!  This is just a great game and we love it!



Designer – Bruno Cathala/Charles Chevallier
Publisher – IELLO
Last play before September 2017 – 7/9/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 2

Em and I grabbed this one off the shelf and played it a couple of times this past month.  This is such a simple and fun card drafting game and it looks absolutely beautiful as well.  This game won’t be leaving our shelf anytime soon.



Designer – Mike Selinker/Chad Brown/Tanis O’Connor/Paul Peterson/Gaby Weidling
Publisher – Paizo Publishing
Last play before September 2017 – 3/16/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 2

Em and I broke out our characters (Merisiel and Kyra) and played a couple of scenarios in the Spires of Xin-Shalast adventure deck which is the last of this box.  It has been a long run but we are only one scenario away from finishing up the Rise of the Runelords box and moving on the Skull and Shackles box.



Designer – Alan R. Moon
Publisher – Days of Wonder
Last play before September 2017 – 6/23/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 2

We took a day during the weekend and decided to break out Ticket to Ride with the Switzerland and India maps.  I was able to just barely beat Em on the Switzerland and won pretty heftily on the India map keeping my winning streak on that expansion alive!



Designer – Adam Carlson/Josh Carlson
Publisher – Chip Theory Games
Last play before September 2017 – 8/19/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 2

Anytime I get to play Too Many Bones is a win in my book!  Josh and I were able to break it out and play a good two player game on a Friday night and then we played it with four players a week later!  Em, Josh and I taught the game to Dustin and we had an absolute blast.  I love this game and can’t wait for the Undertow expansion to go live on Kickstarter in a couple of weeks!



Designer – Ignacy Trzewiczek
Publisher – Portal Games
Last play before September 2017 – 1/21/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 1

I taught Josh how to play this great card game this past month and he really enjoyed it.  I would love to get more people into the act and get a good 3-4 player game started sometime in the near future as I think it’d be a blast!



Designer – Tim Fowers
Publisher – Fowers Games
New to me
First play – 9/15/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 1

Josh pulled this one out one Friday game night and we played it with our friend Mary Beth.  This was the first time I’d played this game and it is a really good co-op game.  I like the movement and different powers that the characters have and it makes for quite a fun and interesting puzzle.



Designer – Ole Steiness
Publisher – Grey Fox Games
Last play before September 2017 – 8/5/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 1

So we picked up the expansions to this game and played them this past month and all I have to say is wow!  These expansions don’t just make the game a little better, they make it leaps and bounds better!  This game had only one thing I didn’t love about it and that was the fact that if you lose a battle and your dice warriors die, then they are gone and serve no purpose.  The Valhalla expansion changes that and makes the game so much more interesting!  This is now, in my opinion, a necessary expansion.



Designer – Paul Dennen
Publisher – Renegade Game Studios
New to me
First play – 9/4/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 1

Josh picked this one up at Gen Con 50 so we tried it out.  I’ve been wanting to try out Clank! and when Renegade Game Studios announced this one I wanted to play!  We had a good time although I think I enjoyed it more than Em or Josh.  This is the type of deck builder that I like, something different.



Designer – Holger Lanz
Publisher – Capstone Games
Last play before September 2017 – 8/25/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 1

Josh and I went to a local game meet-up and played this game with three other people.  This is an interesting abstract style game where you’re trying to get the highest.  I raced out to the lead but couldn’t hold it in the end.  This game is much better with more people as the options become more interesting



Designer – Alexey Konnov/Alexey Paltsev/Anatoliy Shklyarov
Publisher – Brain Games
Last play before September 2017 – 5/2/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 1

Em and I were able to get away for an afternoon when Fiona went to a get-together at the YMCA.  While we were sitting in a café we pulled out this game and got in a quick play of it before we had to go and pick her back up.  This is a fun, filler game.



Designer – Isaac Childres
Publisher – Cephalofair Games
Last play before September 2017 – 8/10/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 1

September was a busy month so sadly we weren’t able to meet up for our Gloomhaven night as much as usual.  That being said, we were at least able to meet up once and it was a great session!  This particular scenario had us splitting up the group in order to push down pressure plates to continue on and find a disembodied voice.  We still love this game and I don’t see that love ever waning!



Designer – Alexander Pfister/Andeas Pelikan
Publisher – Lookout Games/Mayfair Games
Last play before September 3027 – 1/22/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 1

We decided one night that it had been too long since we’d played this Kennerspiel des Jahres winner.  I absolutely love this game and Em quite enjoys it as well.  While this has become a favorite tile-laying game we still haven’t played it with more than two so that is our next goal.



Designer – Peer Sylvester
Publisher – Osprey Games
Last play before September 2017 – 8/22/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 1

This is another game I pulled out and played with some of my buddies who are just getting into some games.  This is a great (yet highly mean) co-operative experience where players are working together to get the icons they need to move ahead in the jungle and eventually find El Dorado.



Designer – Nikki Valens
Publisher – Fantasy Flight Games
Last play before September 2017 – 10/9/16
Total plays in September 2017 – 1

One night this past week I got an urge to play this incredibly thematic adventure-style game.  Josh came over and played this round with us and it was awesome!  We weren’t able to win the scenario but it didn’t matter as we had a ton of fun!  This play has just made me want to get another play in soon!



Designer – Ryan Laukat
Publisher – Red Raven Games
Last play before September 2017 – 8/16/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 1

Em and I continued our character quests in this game and continued on to the next map in the book.  This game is absolutely great and we are having a ton of fun in the plays we’ve had so far.  I’m looking forward to finishing these characters and trying out some of the others.



Designer – Alexander Pfister
Publisher – Lookout Games/Mayfair Games
Last play before September 2017 – 1/26/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 1

Em and I pulled this out during a breakfast date and played it along with the first expansion.  I love this game and I think the expansion adds even more coolness to the mix.  Now we have a wonderful Euro-style card game that deals with resource and hand management while also having a story connected to the mechanisms.



Designer – Alexander Pfister
Publisher – Pegasus Spiele
Last play before September 2017 – 6/9/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 1

Em and I played this game during a breakfast date this past month and it is awesome.  I love this game as a simple, filler, push-your-luck card game that is both easy and fun to play.  This is just one of those games that cements Pfister as one of my favorite game designers.



Designer – R. Eric Reuss
Publisher – Greater Than Games/Fabled Nexus
Last play before September 2017 – 8/29/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 1

One night this past month Em decided that she wanted to play this fantastic co-op game so we pulled it out and set it up.  We chose some spirits that we hadn’t tried yet and played and were able to win the game!  It is hard for me to explain how very good this game is but I will say that it has a good chance of being in my top 10 and possibly even my top 5!



Designer – Helmut Ohley
Publisher – Lookout Games/Mayfair Games
Last play before September 2017 – 8/20/16
Total plays in September 2017 – 1

Wow, it has been quite a while since we had played this game!  We brought it one day when we were dropping baby Knives off at the YMCA and we went out for some lunch.  We just ended up in a café and pulled this out and Em proceeded to just barely edge me out!



Designer – Joel Finch
Publisher – Good Games Publishing/CMON
Last play before September 2017 – 8/6/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 1

I grabbed this game and brought it over to Josh’s house one night when we had some time to play games.  This was the first time he played it and although it isn’t his favorite he did enjoy the play.  I continue to really like this game and find it to just be fun every time we play.



Designer – Jonathan Gilmour/Ben Pinchback/Matt Riddle
Publisher – Pandasaurus Games
Last play before September 2017 – 8/26/17
Total plays in September 2017 – 1

This past month marks the second play of this absolute gem of a pick-up-and-deliver and resource management game!  I brought it to a game night with Josh and Jeff and taught them the game.  This was an absolute blast and we loved every minute of the game!  I can’t wait to play again and hopefully with even more players!

New game acquisitions in September 2017:
N/A

New expansion acquisitions in September 2017:

Well there you have it, another wonderful month’s worth of gaming!  This past month was great and I can’t wait to see what we get to the table this coming month.  Keep an eye out on the blog as my next series should be my Essen Spiel posts.  I can’t wait to really pour through the games that are coming out at this year’s convention and really see what I’m interested in.  Thanks so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed!  Until next time, game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment