Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Obligatory 2017 Gen Con Post Part V: Top 10 List (Games 1-5)

So here we are…the list of my top 5 anticipated games that are available for purchase at Gen Con 2017.  These games are not only on my list but most of them are pre-ordered and I can’t wait to get my hands on them!  There isn’t much more I can really go on about in the intro so feel free to check out my previous four Gen Con posts at the links I’ve provided below.

               



Alright, are you all caught up?  Well then let’s go ahead and move on to the good part!  Again, these are the top games that I’m interested in that are coming out later this week at Gen Con 50 and I think they all look great!  Here we go.  Enjoy your read!



Scott Pilgrim’s Precious Little Card Game is a deck building game designed by Keith Baker and published by Renegade Game Studios.  This game puts the players in the role of a character from the comic of the same name as they are trying to “grow up” and prepare for their finest hour.  Each player will get a unique deck of cards that is based upon the character that they’ve chosen.  These characters are completely asymmetrical as they use different styles and different icons effectively are the players are building their unique decks.  The game uses double sided cards which double as a way to solve your problems with work and empathy or as a way to embrace the crazy violence.  You will score points as you try to defeat the different evil ex’s in the game.  This game is based on what is probably my favorite comic of all times and I can’t wait to try the game out!



Wasteland Express Delivery Service is an action point allowance, dice rolling, pick-up and deliver game designed by Jonathan Gilmour, Ben Pinchback and Matt Riddle and published by Pandasaurus Games.  The game put players in the role of a driver in a post-apocalyptic wasteland driving around in the mayhem and insanity of the burned world.  I love that the characters are basically glorified UPS men as they are rolling around in huge, armor and weaponized trucks attempting to deliver their goods to different outposts.  The players will use a movement allowance to traverse the land and then use different actions to interact with the board, enemies and other players as you’re trying to deliver the goods that you’re carrying.  This game just looks better and better every time I see another preview or video up.  I am really looking forward to getting my hands on this game and hope to have it shortly after the convention.



Spirit Island is a co-operative, card drafting, hand management game designed by R. Eric Reuss and published by Greater Than Games’ imprint, Fabled Nexus.  This game puts players in the role of a spirit that is on an island.  This island is being invaded by humans who are starting to explore the land and build cities and it is the spirit’s goal to drive them off the island.  The players have a starting hand of four cards and a small amount of energy to use in the beginning but can build up their powers with different and better cards and can get more energy throughout the game.  They are building up to be able to cause a great amount of fear in the invaders and hopefully drive them off so the spirits may have their island back.  This game looks amazing and I’ve been looking forward to it for some time.  Now it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine!



Whistle Stop is a route building, tile placement, and pick-up-and-deliver game designed by Scott Caputo and published by Bèzier Games, Inc.  This game has players taking on the role of a small railroad company that is attempting to create their network of rails across the country.  The players will each take a tile during their turn and place it along the growing network of tracks and will then be able to gain stock, gain cargo, deliver goods and continue the board’s network of tracks.  The players will want to optimize their actions in order to gain goods and deliver them efficiently, gain coal for actions and obtain stock to get points.  They also will want to reach the other side with their trains as much as possible to gain bonuses and endgame points.  This game has been on my radar for some time and I’m glad it is finally releasing as the game looks to be an easy-to-teach game with many different decisions.  These are often games that I really like!



Ex Libris is a worker placement, card drafting and set collection game designed by Adam P. McIver and published by Renegade Game Studios.  This game puts players in the role of a book collector that is attempting to get their collection in order so that they can impress and inspector that is coming around to judge and determine who the next Grand Librarian will be.  It is set in a fantasy theme where you can gain classic fantasy-trope assistants such as a goblin, witch, gelatinous cube and much more!  The players will use worker placement to take actions which will change throughout the game and then place their books on shelves in the best order that they can.  This game has such an amazing theme that I had to put it on the list and as more information has come out it moved higher and higher on the list and is now my top game!  I can’t wait to get my hands on it!

Well, there you have it, my top 5 anticipated games of Gen Con 2017.  I already have Spirit Island and Wasteland Express Delivery Service pre-ordered and hope that they will arrive soon.  I’m also planning on picking up at least Scott Pilgrim’s Precious Little Card Game and maybe another while I’m there.  I can’t wait to be able to finally check out the convention and making these lists is making me more excited.  Come on back tomorrow when I’ll have my final (maybe) post which will take a look at my 5 most anticipated games that are unavailable for purchase at the time of the convention.  Thanks so much for taking time out of your day to read this!  Until next time, game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment