Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Obligatory “What I Played In…” Post Part XV: September 2016

And here we go…time to tackle this past month’s game plays.  September was a good month of plays but we certainly didn’t come close to our record of plays in a month.  That being said, we had a few real gems and we are really enjoying the new Ticket to Ride maps that we picked up.  Keep an eye on the blog as the next series I’ll be doing is the Essen Spiel 2016 posts.  Alright, let’s move on to September’s plays.

Statistics:
Total plays in September 2016 – 53
Total unique games played in September 2016 – 21
New games played in September 2016 – 5
New games acquired in September 2016 – 5
New expansions acquired in September 2016 – 8
Most plays of a single game in September 2016 – 9

Würfel Bohnanza


Designer – Uwe Rosenberg
Publisher – AMIGO Spiele
Last play before September 2016 – 8/31/16
Total plays in September 2016 – 9

So we got in a bunch more plays of our current favorite filler.  This is just a great dice rolling filler game.  Em and I are able to get multiple plays in of this and they are always good, quick fun games.  This is a game I can teach anyone and everyone loves it!  If you can find this game, buy it up and enjoy every great play of it!

Ticket to Ride (w/ Map Collection Volume 2, Volume 4 & Volume 5)





Designer – Alan R. Moon
Publisher – Days of Wonder
Last play before September 2016 – 8/28/16
Total plays in September 2016 – 7

This game along with all of its multiple and wonderful map packs is really moving up my favorites list.  I just find every play to be enjoyable and it is so quick and easy to teach!  I love heavy games, but this light, gateway game always hits the right note and is great to play with anyone!

Bear Valley


Designer – Carl Chudyk
Publisher – Stronghold Games
Last play before September 2016 – 8/31/16
Total plays in September 2016 – 4

We are enjoying this light, push-your-luck card game by the fantastic Carl Chudyk.  This game is super fast and a really good time for how light and easy it is.  We haven’t started playing with the advanced rules yet but we’re looking forward to trying them out.

Beyond Baker Street


Designer – Robin Lees/Steve Mackenzie
Publisher – Z-Man Games
New to me
First play – 9/3/16
Total plays in September 2016 - 4

This is a new game that we obtained this past month and got in four plays of it.  It is a great co-operative card game that has elements of Hanabi while adding on a few more ideas to make it even more thematic.  I have loved the multiple plays of this one so far and can’t wait to get more in and teach others how to play!

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords


Designer – Mike Selinker/Chad Brown/Tanis O’Connor/Paul Peterson/Gaby Weidling
Publisher – Paizo Publishing
Last play before September 2016 – 8/20/16
Total plays in September 2016 - 4

Em and I got in more plays of this game as we’ve started moving through the fifth deck, Sins of the Saviors.  We completed the first three scenarios while recording one loss on the first one.  We should be able to finish out this adventure path this year and then we may move on to the Skull and Shackles path as a friend got it at Gen Con 2016 and brought it back for us.

Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn


Designer – Isaac Vega
Publisher – Plaid Hat Games
Last play before September 2016 – 8/24/16
Total plays in September 2016 – 3

Yay for more of this game!  I am on a bit of a winning street as I’ve won four straight rounds with each of the four newest Phoenixborn.  This game is going to be in my top 10 when I get around to doing it…unless something weird happens between now and then.

Red7


Designer – Carl Chudyk/Chris Cieslik
Publisher – Asmadi Games
Last play before September 2016 – 8/31/16
Total plays in September 2016 - 3

This game continues to have the most plays in our collection although FUSE is really catching up to it.  This is what I’d call a perfect, portable card game to bring around anywhere.  It is quick, fun, and has some pretty cool decisions for something so simple.  I think this is a staple of Carl Chudyk’s designs.  This is a game I’d suggest any gamer have in their collection.

Sushi Go Party!


Designer – Phil Walker-Harding
Publisher – Gamewright
New to me
First play – 9/3/16
Total plays in September 2016 - 3

This is a game I picked up mostly for Em, but it is a great, simple filler/gateway game.  This is the game that we’ll pull out when we want to teach people card drafting as it is a perfect first step for that particular game mechanism.  This is a great starter and has wonderful artwork to boot!

FUSE


Designer – Kane Klenko
Publisher – Renegade Game Studios
Last play before September 2016 – 8/27/16
Total plays in September 2016 – 2

There isn’t much more to say about this game as it has gained more plays than any other in our collection in a short period of time.  This is (at least in our opinion) a perfect, short, co-operative, dice-rolling experience.

Guilds of London


Designer – Tony Boydell
Publisher – Tasty Minstrel Games
Last play before September 2016 – 8/14/16
Total plays in September 2016 – 2

This is an absolutely amazingly designed game with one of my favorite game mechanisms, multi-use cards.  I have only had a chance to play it once with another person (Em) but it has a great solitaire variant created by the designer and Ricky Royal as well.  This just bumps the game up and makes it more likely to get played.  I can’t wait for my next time!

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition


Designer – Nikki Valens
Publisher – Fantasy Flight Games
New to me
First play – 9/7/16
Total plays in September 2016 – 2

Em and I were able to pick this game up for a real steal so we decided to go ahead and get it.  I will say that we weren’t disappointed at all!  This game is an amazing co-operative experience!  I love the tension, the gameplay, and especially the story.  I just look forward to more plays of this gem!

Agricola


Designer – Uwe Rosenberg
Publisher – Lookout Games/Mayfair Games
New to me
First play – 9/23/16
Total plays in September 2016 – 1

My buddy Josh taught me this Rosenberg classic in September and it was very fun.  I don’t really understand the “misery farm” title as I didn’t find it that difficult to feed my meeples.  This isn’t my favorite Uwe game but it is really good and I totally understand the love of it!

Carcassonne


Designer – Klaus-Jürgen Wrede
Publisher – Rio Grande Games
Last play before September 2016 – 1/30/16
Total plays in September 2016 – 1

Em and I pulled out this classic and got a play of it in during one of our morning coffee/breakfast dates.  This is a game that I always enjoy.  I love how the board just builds throughout the play and it always looks great by the end.

Dice City (w/ All That Glitters & Crossroads)




Designer – Vangelis Bagiartakis
Publisher – Alderac Entertainment Group
Last play before September 2016 – 7/8/16
Total plays in September 2016 – 1

We pulled out Dice City along with the new expansions that we obtained and they added even more interesting decisions to the game.  I love the dice rolling and placement as actions.  It is a wonderful dice-chucker with some really cool combos.  As well as being fun, it’s also an inexpensive game.  I’d recommend this one to anyone who likes dice rolling and city building games.

Millennium Blades


Designer – D. Brad Talton, Jr.
Publisher – Level 99 Games
Last play before September 2016 – 8/6/16
Total plays in September 2016 – 1

Em and I taught this incredible game to our buddy Ross and he really liked it!  This game is becoming a favorite of ours.  When we have a decent amount of time and want a longer and more “epic” experience then this is often the game that comes out.  I highly recommend this to anyone who loves a good card game with some fun combos.

New Bedford


Designer – Nathaniel Levan
Publisher – Dice Hate Me/Greater Than Games
Last play before September 2016 – 8/6/16
Total plays in September 2016 – 1

I am really enjoying this Kickstarter gem.  It is such a simple worker placement style game with a very interesting theme.  I love how you get to build up the town of New Bedford while sending out your ships in order to catch whales.  It is a fun and beautifully produced game.

Oh My Goods!


Designer – Alexander Pfister
Publisher – Lookout Games/Mayfair Games
Last play before September 2016 – 8/5/16
Total plays in September 2016 – 1

Multi-use card game for the win!  This game is definitely going to be one of Em’s top 10 games when we finally get around to doing our lists!  I love the way these cards represent different things and work in such a perfect way with the game mechanisms.  I love this game and it is one of our favorite small card games.

Patchwork


Designer – Uwe Rosenberg
Publisher – Lookout Games/Mayfair Games
Last play before September 2016 – 8/10/16
Total plays in September 2016 – 1

Ah yes, our monthly play of one of our favorite two-player games!  This is my favorite abstract strategy game right now.  It always plays just a little bit differently and has a great back-and-forth style of play while being able to do your own thing at the same time.  There is also just enough interaction to make it interesting.  I’d highly recommend this to any fan of two-player games.

Potion Explosion


Designer – Stefano Castelli/Andrea Crespi/Lorenzo Silva
Publisher – Cool Mini Or Not/Horrible Games
Last play before September 2016 – 8/20/16
Total plays in September 2016 – 1

We got in a single play of this super fun, Bejeweled-style game and I finally picked up a win!  Em is quite good at pattern-recognition type games and she has done very well in our plays of this.  I was able to pick up a couple of potions and get some really good combos going which ended up winning the game for me.  I don’t see this one leaving the collection any time soon as it is just so quick, fun and easy to pick up.

The Ravens of Thri Sahashri


Designer – Kuro
Publisher – Osprey Games/Japon Brand
Last play before September 2016 – 8/14/16
Total plays in September 2016 – 1

Em and I got this fun, asymmetrical, two-player card game to the table once in September and we unable to win this round.  This game is getting tougher as we are adding in the new rules from the included envelopes.  That being said, this game is awesome!  This is another I’d highly recommend to gamers who love a good two-player game.

Toss Up!


Designer – Garrett J. Donner/Michael S. Steer
Publisher – PlayMonster
New to me
First play – 9/5/16
Total plays in September 2016 – 1

Sam brought this game over for a game night as he picked it up for his girls and wanted to try it out on us.  It is a very quick, push-your-luck dice game where you are trying to hit 100 points.  It reminds me of similar games such as Farkle but with a slightly different twist.  It was a fun filler but I feel no need to add it to the collection as we have similar games that scratch the same itch.

New game acquisitions in September 2016:
Beyond Baker Street
Exoplanets
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition
Matcha
Sushi Go Party!

New expansion acquisitions in September 2016:
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn: The Duchess of Deception
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn: The Roaring Rose
Dice City: All That Glitters
Dice City: Crossroads
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords: Sins of the Saviors (Adventure Deck 5)
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords: Spires of Xin-Shalast (Adventure Deck 6)
Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 4: Nederland
Ticket to Ride: USA 1910

Another month, another month of gaming!  I enjoyed this month as we got a good mix of old favorites, new games, and old games with new expansions to the table.  I’d have to say that Ticket to Ride with the new maps really one out the month.  We are just having a great time with the game and also with introducing it to new players.  I will be starting my Essen Spiel series so keep an eye out for that!  If you have any questions or comments feel free to post below!  Until next time, game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment