Friday, April 8, 2016

Obligatory “What I Played In…” Post Part VIII: February 2016

Well, it’s been a busy month of posts!  I hope you have all had a chance to read my “End of 2015” series of posts which tackled the games from 2015 and 2016 that I haven’t played yet and are most interesting to me.  I also have a post on my new, annual, “Late-ies” Awards.  Lastly I made a post that was simply my final play statistics from 2015.  It was a lot of fun making these posts and I hope that you’ve enjoyed reading them!  This one is another in my monthly series of “What I Played In…” posts.  This particular post is coming a little late, but these are the games that I played in February of 2016.  This was a slightly down month from our previous of 76 plays in January but we were still able to get a lot of great games in and we’ve found a couple of wonderful card games that could creep up our “best of” lists!  Alright, now let’s move on to the stats!

Statistics:
Total plays in February 2015 – 58
Total unique games played in February 2016 – 22
New games played in February 2016 – 4
New games acquired in February 2016 – 4
Most plays of a single game – 19


Designer – Carl Chudyk/Chris Cieslik
Publisher – Asmadi Games
Last play before February 2016 – 1/31/16
Total plays in February 2016 – 19

So, yeah, another 19 plays of Red7 this month!  It’s like Em and I really like this game or something!  Seriously though, this one has become a game that we just take everywhere because it is so easy to break out and play a bunch of hands while we are out at a restaurant or something like that.  It is portable and more fun than sitting there looking at our phones like zombies.  I highly recommend this one!



Designer – Alexander Pfister
Publisher – Lookout Games
New to me
First Play – 2/15/16
Total plays in February 2016 - 7

Oh holy crap…this game has become a HUGE hit with me and Em!  It is a multi-use card game and tableau builder with delightful art by Klemens Franz.  Along with being a game where you are able to use your cards in many different ways, it also has a touch of press-your-luck.  I can’t say enough good things about this game and Pfister has even created some v2.0 rules that take some of the luck out of bad card draws.  This is an amazing game all around and a favorite at our house.



Designer – Shadi Torbey
Publisher – Z-Man Games
New to me
First play – 2/28/16
Total plays in February 2016 – 5

Here is the first game on my list that was a birthday present.  I got this from my sister-in-law Molly and my brother-in-law Dustin.  It is another game in the Oniverse series by Torbey and this one is his first tile placement game.  It is a fairly simple solitaire style game where you are placing tiles with specific rules as to where they can lie and how they are placed.  Your goal is to place these tiles in certain patterns to protect your castle.  It is a great solitaire game!



Designer – Darrell Louder/Mike Mullins
Publisher – Dice Hate Me Games/Greater Than Games
Last play before February 2016 – 1/23/16
Total plays in February 2016 – 3

Em and I got in a few more plays of this game and as always this game is such a wonderful two-player game!  I love how this game really immerses me in the theme and makes me feel like I am watching a game where the home team is up to bat in the bottom of the 9th inning and looking to get the winning run.  In some exciting news, there is going to be a big box expansion coming out for this game this year!  More content will be a great thing for this game!



Designer – Antoine Bauza/Bruno Cathala
Publisher – Repos Production/Asmodee
Last play before February 2016 – 1/31/16
Total plays in February 2016 – 2

Em and I were able to get a couple of plays of this wonderful re-implementation of the modern classic card drafting game, 7 Wonders.  This is a great two-player version and we love every play of it.  I think it took Em a couple of plays to really enjoy it as she wasn’t a huge fan of the automatic scientific/military victory conditions but now that she’s used to it she really digs it!  I highly recommend this one for people who enjoy a good two-player card game.  Just be aware, it is more cut throat than the original!



Designer – Eric Lang/Mike Elliott
Publisher – WizKids Games
New to me
First play – 2/24/16
Total plays in February 2016 – 2

This is a new game to Em and I.  We picked this one up because we really like Quarriors! and were curious as to how the updated rule set for Dice Masters was.  We picked this specific version up due to my personal enjoyment of the lantern corps of DC Comics fame.  We enjoyed this one although I’m not quite sure it will beat out Quarriors! for us…only time will tell!



Designer – Antoine Bauza
Publisher – Repos Production/Asmodee
Last play before February 2016 – 11/23/15
Total plays in February 2016 – 2

We got a couple of games in of this game on the same night this month.  We played it once and got trounced pretty hard so we decided to reshuffle and do it all over again.  This time we won but just barely!  We are really enjoying this game more and more with each subsequent play!



Designer – Uwe Rosenberg
Publisher – Lookout Games/Mayfair Games
Last play before February 2016 – 1/27/16
Total plays in February 2016 – 2

A slight dip in plays this month but that is only due to learn and playing a couple new two-player games.  This game continues to be one of our very favorite games and I would definitely say our very favorite abstract game.  I don’t see this one ever losing favor with us!



Designer – Eric Lang/Mike Elliott
Publisher – WizKids Games
Last play before February 2016 – 8/24/15
Total plays in February 2016 – 2

It had been a while since Em and I pulled this game out so we decided to dust it off and play a couple of games.  We have always enjoyed this game and so far it is ahead of the Dice Masters line in our own estimation.  I do hope to pick up an expansion or two for Quarriors! one of these days.



Designer – Violetta Kijowska/Marcin Senoir Ropka
Publisher – Bomba Games
Last play before February 2016 – 1/13/16
Total plays in February 2016 – 2

We picked this fun little game up and decided to play it a couple of times this month.  This is a very simple card game where you use icons on cards in order to make meals and score your cards.  This one has a slight dexterity element that we actually find to be fun.  This is a good game for people who like card games, slight dexterity elements, and slight speed rounds in their games.



Designer – Ryan Laukat
Publisher – Red Raven Games
Last play before February 2016 – 1/13/16
Total plays in February 2016 – 1

This game is really become a go-to and a favorite game for us to play with each other.  The beauty and artwork of this game are undeniable and they go a long way in reinforcing the theme.  We also love the strong Euro-style play along with the storytelling element that is included in the mechanics of Above and Below.



Designer – Isaac Vega
Publisher – Plaid Hat Games
Last play before February 2016 – 1/6/16
Total plays in February 2016 – 1

We only got one play of Ashes in this past month but it was a really good round.  At this point I have to say that I would be somewhat surprised if this game didn’t end up in my top 10 list when I take a look at it in the next month or so.  Em and I have really enjoyed this battle game and we can’t wait to get our hands on the new decks of Brennan and Rin in April.



Designer – Frédéric Henry
Publisher – Bombyx/Asmodee
Last play before February 2016 – 12/02/16
Total plays in February 2016 – 1

Em and I got a play of this little gem at one of our coffee dates that we have in the mornings after we take Fiona to school.  I actually won this round even though I think that Em was on a bit of a roll in the previous rounds.  This is just quick fun.



Designer – Uwe Rosenberg
Publisher – Z-Man Games
Last play before February 2016 – 1/19/16
Total plays in February 2016 - 1

Okay, one play of this in a month is not enough!  I got a solo play of it in and got my best score but I am still really chomping at the bit to get the one played more often with Em.  So far this has been one of my new favorites and I could see this making an appearance on my top 10 list if not this year then next.  It is a great, deep, fun sandbox-style game that is always a fun experience!



Designer – Carl Chudyk
Publisher – Asmadi Games
New to me
First play – 2/28/16
Total plays in February 2016 – 1

Yay, the first play of this game was on my birthday!  This is a game I’ve been looking forward to for some time.  I’ve heard that it is somewhat of a spiritual successor to Chudyk’s magnum opus, Glory to Rome.  The first play (this one) was rough but I will say that we’ve got our feet underneath us and it is becoming a favorite!  It is a very quick game and has some really cool cardplay and decisions.



Designer – Régis Bonnessée
Publisher – Libellud/Asmodee
Last play before February 2016 – 9/27/16
Total plays in February 2016 – 1

Any play of Seasons (my top game…for now!)  is a great game in my opinion!  I had a pretty interesting combo going on in this round that I thought I was going to ride to victory but Em ended up getting some pretty harsh cards that got her just enough crystals to win out in the end!  This still continues to be one of my favorite “card combo” games!



Designer – Christopher Badell/Paul Bender/Adam Rebottaro
Publisher – Greater Than Games/Sentinel Comics
Last play before February 2016 – 8/20/15
Total plays in February 2016 – 1

Em and I got a play of this one in and we took on Ambuscade who is a villain pack I got for Christmas.  I took Absolute Zero and Guise while Em used Tachyon and The Wraith (her favorite) to fight against the mercenary.  It was a fun fight and he has some interesting cards but we were able to beat him down and Em finished him off with some of The Wraith’s powers.



Designer – Corey Konieczka/Justin Kemppainen/Jonathan Ying
Publisher – Fantasy Flight Games
Last play before February 2016 – 11/23/15
Total plays in February 2016 – 1

Em and Sean continued the campaign to try and defeat the Imperials (me) and failed in this particular story mission.  This was final story mission before the grand finale!  We are going to finally get the last play in March and we will have officially finished the campaign!  It was a total blast and may have been popular enough to get another campaign box.



Designer – Antoine Bauza
Publisher – Matagot/Bombyx
Last play before February 2016 – 7/19/15
Total plays in February 2016 – 1

This is another game that we decided to pull off the shelf and play in February.  It has been a while since we played but this is always such a fun little game.  Honestly, I can’t wait till my daughter is old enough to play because I think she is going to love this one!  Takenoko is always colorful and always fun!



Designer – Kristian Čurla
Publisher – Portal Games
Last play before February 2016 – 11/24/15
Total plays in February 2016 – 1

We got in a play of this little two-player, card-drafting gem in February and I was able to get a huge combo in the final round of the game!  This is a fun card-drafting game that does actually work with two people just fine.  Also, bonus, it has incredible art on the awesome tarot-sized cards.



Designer – Helmut Ohley
Publisher – Lookout Games/Mayfair Games
Last play before February 2016 – 1/20/16
Total plays in February 2016 – 1

Em and I have come to just love this quick game out of Lookout Games’ two-player line.  It has a Rummy-style play where you are playing the cards in order and trying to score the best runs you can.  This has become a regular during our weekly morning coffee dates.



Designer – Adam West/Dane Schnake/Abe Schnake
Publisher – CrossCut Games
Last play before February 2016 – 1/27/16
Total plays in February 2016 – 1

Here is another game that is becoming a regular during our weekly coffee dates.  I am becoming more of a fan of this one as it is just quick and fun with two players.  I love good card combo games and this one has some in there that are just great.  Em seems to beat me a fair amount but that it totally okay!  I look forward to more plays of this little card and dice game.

Well, there you have it!  Another month of great gaming down and another post with the information.  These are all games that I enjoy and would suggest them to many different people from all different walks of life!  Below are the games that we added to the collection this month.

New acquisitions in February 2016: 
Castellion
DC Comics Dice Master: War of Light
Oh My Goods!
Mottainai

Alright, thus ends this particular list of games that we played.  Keep an eye on the blog this coming month as I believe that Em and I are going to start our top 10 lists.  Please feel free to stay tuned.  As always, any questions or comments please free to post them in the comments below.  Until next time, game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment