Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Obligatory “What I Played In…” Post Part XXXVII: July 2018

Hey all, I’m back with another installment of what games we played this past month.  We had a solid month of a bunch of games played but only one new one.  We ended up with 50 plays of 21 different games.  My next post will include the games played at Gen Con, but for now let’s see how this month went.  Before I move on to the main post, feel free to see how my 2018 challenges are going.


Alright, with that out of the way we can move on to the main portion of the post.  These are all of the different games that we played this past month so read on and I hope you enjoy!

Statistics:
Total plays in July 2018 – 50
Total unique games played in July 2018 – 21
New games played in July 2018 – 1
New games acquired in July 2018 – 1
New expansions acquired in July 2018 – 10
Most plays of a single game in July 2018 – 21



Designer – Christopher Badell/Paul Bender/Adam Rebottaro
Publisher – Greater Than Games/Sentinel Comics
Last play before July 2018 – 7/14/18
Total plays in July 2018 – 21

I was able to get in a ton of solo plays this past month since I didn’t get to do many multiplayer games.  I was able to hit just over 20 plays and it continues to be one of my favorite games of all times!  Now I’m just more excited as the expansion hit my door (although technically in August) and I will be able to play it soon!  Also, August will the month I probably hit 100 total plays of this fantastic, super replayable card game!



Designer – Alexey Konnov/Alexey Paltsev/Anatoliy Shklyarov
Publisher – Brain Games
Last play before July 2018 – 11/28/18
Total plays in July 2018 – 5

Steph and I got a little downtime at work this past month and we were able to pull this little card games out for a few plays.  This is one of those games I like to keep in a bag because it is super quick and easy to teach and a fun little distraction.



Designer – Alexander Pfister
Publisher – alea/Ravensburger
Last play before July 2018 – 6/13/18
Total plays in July 2018 – 2

Em and I pulled this game out this past month and played a couple rounds of it.  This is such a great game and I’m glad that we have it.  I will always play this game as I think it is one of those games that should get more love!



Designer – Cédrick Chaboussit
Publisher – Ludonaute
New to me
First play – 7/19/18
Total plays in July 2018 – 2

This was the only new game we played this past month and we really liked it!  I tried it for the first time with Em and then again about a week later with Josh and Jeff.  This is a fairly thinky little dice and card game that is pretty simple to teach and play.  I look forward to playing more of this one.



Designer – Chris Cantrell/Rick Ernst/Stone Librande/Prashant Saraswat/Nathan Tiras
Publisher – Riot Games
Last play before July 2018 – 3/30/18
Total plays in July 2018 – 2

Em and I pulled this game out one night when Josh came over and we were able to get in two different missions worth of play!  This is such a great game and it really solidifies it every time we get to play.  I am looking forward to going through more missions as we are really getting close to the end!



Designer – Matt Leacock/Rob Daviau
Publisher – Z-Man Games
Last play before July 2018 – 6/3/18
Total plays in July 2018 –2

We were able to play two months of this game with Dustin and Molly this past month and they were epic!  We have finally made it to the last month so we have either one or two games left before reaching the inevitable conclusion of this fantastic game.  I am looking forward to seeing how we end up doing!



Designer – Thomas Lehmann/Wei-Hwa Huang
Publisher – Rio Grande Games
Last play before July 2018 – 3/11/18
Total plays in July 2018 – 2

Em and I pulled this out this past month and played two rounds of it.  I ended up getting some awesome engines rolling (buh-dum-ching) and was able to pull out two victories against Em.  This isn’t normal as her dice-rolling is usually better, but I’ll take it wherever I get it!



Designer – Michael Kiesling
Publisher – Plan B Games/Next Move Games
Last play before July 2018 – 5/27/18
Total plays in July 2018 – 1

Em and I played this game with Josh this past month and it was a great round!  Josh and I ended up tying for the win but he was able to edge me out in the tie-breaker.  I love the simplicity of this game and how deep it still is!



Designer – Uwe Rosenberg
Publisher – Rio Grande Games/Amigo Spiele
Last play before July 2018 – 6/9/18
Total plays in July 2018 – 1

Mom and dad came into town this past month to spend a week with us and Fiona and it was great.  This is the game that we most commonly pull out and play with family and this was no different.  I love this card game and it still continues to be one of my favorite and one we pull out consistently!



Designer – Richard Garfield
Publisher – IELLO
Last play before July 2018 – 4/28/18
Total plays in July 2018 – 1

Em and I pulled this out and played with Josh this past month and I had quite the round!  I was able to get a really good combo together and score very well on the scroll cards that score at the end of the game.  I was happy to win this way as I’ve seen people win all different ways in this game!



Designer – Emerson Matsuuchi
Publisher – Plan B Games
Last play before July 2018 – 5/28/19
Total plays in July 2018 – 1

Em, Josh and I pulled this game out one night when he came over for gaming.  It was another epic round as Josh and I ended up only two points away from each other and I barely pulled out the win.  This is such a great game and I really want to try the new one as well.



Designer – Frank West
Publisher – The City of Games
Last play before July 2018 – 3/8/18
Total plays in July 2018 – 1

Josh pulled out this game one gamenight and taught Jeff how to play.  We played a great three player round and it was awesome!  We were able to complete the campaign/mission and win the round but didn’t have time to continue on to the higher levels.  I love this game and look forward to getting my own copy of it!



Designer – Jens Drögemüller/Helge Ostertag
Publisher – Z-Man Games
Last play before July 2018 – 3/14/18
Total plays in July 2018 – 1

I finally brought this game over to a gamenight and taught Josh and Jeff how to play.  They really enjoyed it and picked it up pretty quickly.  I know at least Josh is looking forward to trying it again now that he knows how to play.



Designer – Isaac Childres
Publisher – Cephalofair Games
Last play before July 2018 – 6/28/18
Total plays in July 2018 – 1

Dustin, Em, Josh and I were able to get in one play of this fantastic game this past month and we have hit about 25 plays and don’t really seem to be even scratching the surface!  I look forward to more plays and we hope to hit a few more next month.



Designer – Peer Sylvester
Publisher – Osprey Games
Last play before July 2018 – 2/10/18
Total plays in July 2018 – 1

Josh pulled this game out one gamenight that it was just the two of us and we were able to pull out the victory.  We did a good job in managing the deck and ended up winning.  This is a solid co-operative card game!



Designer – Vladimír Suchý
Publisher – Czech Games Edition
Last play before July 2018 – 3/16/18
Total plays in July 2018 – 1

Josh, Jeff and I played this game during a game night this past month and it was awesome!  This has become one of my favorite space-themed games and also games with dice drafting and action selection.  I love this game and look forward to more plays!



Designer – Keith Matejka
Publisher – Thunderworks Games
Last play before July 2018 – 4/13/18
Total plays in July 2018 – 1

Josh and I pulled this game out with Jeff and taught him the new expansion to it!  This is a great expansion for the base game and really adds more decision points to an already amazing game.  I look forward to more plays of this and more games in the universe!



Designer – Alan R. Moon
Publisher – Days of Wonder
Last play before July 2018 – 4/28/18
Total plays in July 2018 – 1

Em and I played this game with my parents when they were here for a week this past month and it was a blast.  We love every play of this game and my parents enjoy it as well.  I am looking forward to seeing what map pack they release next as I’m sure one is in the works.

Rally Boy” (Unpublished Prototype – Name Pending)


Designer – Josh Jacoby
Publisher – (unpublished)
Last play before July 2018 – 5/4/18
Total plays in July 2018 – 1

Josh pulled his prototype out again as he really wanted to get it ready before going to Gen Con.  We played a round with some new rules and he is really tightening it up.  I’m looking forward to how it continues to grow!



Designer – Martin Wallace
Publisher – Space Cowboys
Last play before July 2018 – 4/20/18
Total plays in July 2018 – 1

I pulled this game out one day when Steph came over to play some games.  This was a new game to her and she did a really good job in it.  I don’t remember the score but I’m pretty sure she was just barely behind me at the end of the game.



Designer – Hisashi Hayashi
Publisher – Tasty Minstrel Games/OKAZU Brand
Last play before July 2018 – 3/20/18
Total plays before July 2018 – 1

This is the second game that Steph and I played the one day she came over during the morning/afternoon to play.  She was new to this one as well and also did a great job picking up the concepts and just barely lost me to me.  I love the elegance of this game!

New game acquisitions in June 2018:

New expansion acquisitions in June 2018:

Woot!  And there we have it, another month in the books and ready to roll into another!  We played some really good stuff but I am fairly certain next month will be just as good since it will include plays from Gen Con!  I was also able to pick up a bunch of the expansions for Arkham Horror: The Card Game.  Thanks so much for reading this month and come back soon for more!  Until next time game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment